Suggested hardware and operating system for a network configuration with a dedicated server.
- Server- Intel i5 or higher, 8GB memory or higher running Windows Server 2012 or newer
In a server/workstation configuration, it is recommended that the server should be running Windows Server. This operating system is more stable than Windows 10 and is designed to be a server.
- Workstation - Intel i5 or higher, 8GB memory or higher
Windows 10 is recommended as the workstation operating system.
Medic Software Requirements
- Windows 10, Windows Server 2012 or newer
Medic is also compatible with Windows 7 and 8, however, these are not recommended as Microsoft has ended support for these versions.
- Office 2013 or Offce 365 (2016)
Medic uses Microsoft Office for note editing with MS Word, record/report export with MS Excel and email with MS Outlook. Office 2007 will work but may need additional software to update functionality to make compatible.
- Microsoft SQL Server
Microsoft SQl Server express is included. The installation program will install either SQL Server 2008 or 2012 based on the operating system.
- Adobe Reader DC
Included and will be installed if required.
- Digital Persona fingerprint reader
Included and will be installed during installation.
Download and install the Medic Demo installation file or the Installation file emailed to you.
Once the installer is complete, run Medic 'as Administrator' to configure Medic to run on your system or network. To run 'as Administrator' right click on the Medic 4 icon and select 'Run as Administrator'
If this is the first time running Medic on your computer, the Setup wizard which will guide you through the remainder of the installation.
How is your office Setup? Do you have a single computer or do you have more than one computer setup in a network?
The system will then scan your computer for the required software as listed above and display a list of what has been found and what is missing.
Medic uses SQL server as its database server and therefore is required to be installed on this PC or on another PC in the network.
NOTE: Only one installation of SQL Server is to be installed on the network. The computer where SQL Server is installed on must be accessible by all the other computers on the network running Medic. All other computers running Medic will access the SQL server for their data.
Other than MS Office which is not included but required for Medic to function, the installation wizard will install Adobe Reader DC if not installed already and the drivers for finger print reader software (optional function used to login to Medic).
Depending on the results of the search of your computer and network for running instances of SQl Server running Medic Databases, one of three option will be available.
- An existing instance of SQL Server (running Medic databases) is found running on the computer/network. The Computer Name \ Instance will be displayed. In this example, the SQL server is running on the computer named MEDICSERVER and the instance of Medic databases is MEDICSVR. The user has the option to select this instance by clicking 'Yes'. If this is not the correct instance of Medic databases, click 'No'.
- If no instance of SQL Server running Medic databases is found on the computer or network. The user will have the option to either install a 'New Installation', or manually enter the COMPUTER NAME\INSTANCE of the Medic databases.
- If one or more instances of SQL Server running Medic databases (MEDICSVR) are found running on this computer or network, Option 1, and the user selected 'No', a list of found COMPUTER NAME\INSTANCE names will be displayed. This will show all instances of MEDICSVR instances found on the network. The user will then have the option to select from the list or manually enter the correct instance in the field below.
Based on the selections made above, the setup wizard will prompt, if 'New Installation' was selected, to install SQL Server (2012 or 2017 based on your operating system). This installation will download and automatically install and configure SQL Server. This process may take some time and will be based on the speed of your internet connection and computer speed.
Additionally, Adobe Reader DC and other software required for Medic to run will be installed.
Once the installation process is completed, the user can run Medic and login using the Default Username and password of SYSTEM, SYSTEM.
Once Medic is installed and the user can login using the default username password of SYSTEM, SYSTEM, the first step is to access the System Configuration screen.
What is the System Configuration screen and why do I need to set it up?
The System Configuration screen is found in the Control Panel, and is accessed from Medic's Main Menu. It is where a system manager does a one time setup of Medic parameters that will affect the functionality of the system.
NOTE: It is very important that the system configuration be first setup on the computer that is going to be the server, as other computers running Medic will use these settings.
Additionally, these instruction will only review the settings required to get Medic up and running either on a single computer installation or in a network environment. The remainder of the fields will be covered in Medic's help section, accessed from the Control Panel menu.
The System Configuration screen is divided into 5 tabs, accessed by the buttons in the side menu.
- General Settings
- Patient Files Folder :
- The location of the Medic40_data folder (and sub-folders) is where patient notes files and other system files are located.
- The default location is in the \My Documents folder, but it is recommended to be moved to a more secure location on your computer or network.
- In a network configuration where multiple computers are accessing Medic, this folder should be located on the computer designated as the server, and should be setup as a network share so it can be accessed by other computers on the network.
- In a network configuration, the format of this field should be the UNC format of the folder. \\computer name\Medic40_data. For example : \\MEDICSERVER\Medic40_data
- Patient Files Folder :